A. Your situation
Word is crashed. After re-starting you get the a message similar to the following:
"Word experienced a serious problem with the ‘axespdfforword’ add-in. This add-in is incompatible with Data Execution Prevention mode and should be disabled or upgraded to the latest version. Do you wish to disable this add-in from loading?"
Read the message carefully!
If you click "no", then the axesPDF tab still appears in the ribbon. You can use the add-in as before.
If you click "yes", then the axesPDF tab disappears because Word disables the add-in. The following tutorial guides you through the workflow to get your axesPDF tab back:
B. Step-by-step tutorial
In order to get your axesPDF tab back:
In Word 2007
- Click the Microsoft Office Button
- Click "Word Options" and then "Add-Ins"
In Word 2010
- Click the File tab.
- Choose "Options" from the File tab’s menu.
- In the Word Options window, choose "Add-Ins" from the left side.
You get a list with all add-ins and application extensions that are categorized as follows:
- Active Application Add-ins: extensions that are registered and currently running in Word.
- Inactive Application Add-ins: add-ins that are available on your computer but are not currently loaded.
- Document Related Add-ins: not relevant for us in this case.
- Disabled Application Add-ins: add-ins that were automatically disabled because they are causing Word to crash.
If you cannot find axesPDF for Word in group 1, 2 or 4, then you have to re-install the add-in.
Group 1: "Active Application Add-in"
The add-in axesPDF for Word is installed correctly.The tab "axesPDF" appears in the ribbon.
The add-in is ready to use.
Group 2: "Inactive Application Add-ins"
- Got to the selection list at the bottom and select "Manage: COM-Add-Ins", then click "Go to...".
- The window "COM-Add-Ins" opens. There you find all inactive Application Add-ins (checkboxes are clear).
- Select the "axesPDF for Word" checkbox and click "OK".
- The tab "axesPDF" appears in the ribbon.
Congrats! You have got back the add-In "axesPDF for Word".
Group 3: "Document Related Add-ins"
This group is not relevant for users of "axesPDF for Word".
Group 4: "Disabled Application Add-ins"
- Got to the selection list at the bottom and select "Manage: Disabled Elements", then click "Go to...".
- The window "Disabled Elements" opens. There you find all disabled add-ins.
- Select the add-in "axesPDF for Word" and click the button "Activate".
- To get your tab "axesPDF" back, you have to re-start Word.
Congrats! Now you can use "axesPDF for Word" as before.